This is part 4 in a 9 part series on Magill’s rules.
Swarthmore College has a long and deep history. Daily, we are reminded of this in small ways: by the names and dates on memorial plaques; the wear and architecture of buildings; the stature and grandeur of trees, and so much more. At The Daily Gazette, we aim to be a forum for relevant news and discourse. No less important though, is our role (and the role of all campus publications) in preserving institutional memory. In that spirit, we present to you the part 4 in the series “Magill’s 100 Rules,” courtesy of the sesquicentennial website.
- The study room is to be used for purposes of study, and no social intercourse is allowed there, and the central hall in front of the study room is for passage only; students must not collect there at any time.
- Students must not leave their seats without permission, and no continued conversation is allowed; but occasional permission to speak about lessons may be obtained of the teacher in charge.
- Students are not permitted to study together in the study-room at any time. The study room is always under care when open, and the same rules are applicable in and out of study periods.
- During evening collections the desk lids must not be raised after the first five minutes without permission, and all speaking, even about lessons, is forbidden.
- Students excused from the evening collection must not visit during the period, but remain in their own rooms.
- The study collections of the day and evening are not study only, and no general reading or letter-writing is allowed, except on First day evenings.
- Between study hours students are allowed in the study room during the following periods: 1) from 8:30 p.m. to 6:20 a.m. 2) from the close of school in the morning until dinner on weekdays, and from Meeting until dinner on First days. 3) from the close of school in the afternoon until supper on Second, Third, Fifth, and Sixth days. 4) From 3:30 till supper on Forth and First day afternoons, and from dinner till supper on Seventh day afternoons.
Featured image courtesy of swarthmore.edu.
Hello, did you like this article? Write for The Gazette! Open staff meetings are every Monday at 7:30 p.m. in The Daily Gazette office on Parrish 4th; You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.