The Daily Gazette has reprinted this platform in full without changes:
I’m Ben Roebuck ’17.
I’ve been the Class Senator for 2017 my freshman, sophomore, and junior years.
Now I’m running to be your Co-President of Student Government (SGO).
Here are some of the areas I’ll focus on, and things I’ll get done:
➔Create a Better Sharples and Essie’s Experience
- More variety. More healthy options.
- Make Essie’s hours work with class schedules
- I’ve already met with our new food Director and he wants to make changes. I’ll collaborate with him to make sure they happen
➔Represent the Student Body to the Administration and Fight for Your Priorities
- Meet bi-weekly with President Val Smith, and monthly with Dean Liz Braun and our Provost. I’ll also have similar ongoing conversations with everyone from Class Year Deans, to our Title IX Coordinator, to Chairs of Academic Departments, and beyond
- Make presentations to the Swarthmore’s Board of Managers, and get them to hold discussions, lunches, and other events with students
➔Help Students Get Internships and Jobs
- We have so many incredible alums in every field imaginable. By working with the head of the Alumni Council, President Val Smith, Career Services, and the Board of Managers, we can make sure you have access to our wide network
- Hold larger networking events that also bring major companies and organizations
➔Better Financial Aid
- President Val Smith just gave a talk about the future of Swarthmore, and she advocated for more aid. I’ll work with her, our VP of Finance and Administration, the Financial Aid Office and the Board of Managers to help the students that need it
➔Subsidized SEPTA tickets and Buses to Philly
- It’s time to make it happen
➔Communication and Transparency with the Student Body
- Use Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, and Twitter so you know what’s going on
- Set up events and use social media to pose open, ongoing, and honest dialogue
- Have anonymous ways (both digitally and physically) for you to leave criticism, suggestions, ideas, questions, or comments
➔Make Sure Students in the ICC, BCC, Interfaith Center, SOLIS, I-20, and Similar Organizations Have Their Concerns and Ideas Represented
- Create liaisons to SGO for the groups; meet with leaders in those organizations on a regular basis; promote their events
➔Bring Some More Fun and Relaxation to Swarthmore
- Definitely have more Insomnia cookies and more llamas. But also form spaces for Swatties to get together, meet new people, and take a break
➔Support Our Athletes
- Get more people going to games, and work with OSE to plan tailgates and pep rallies
- Create a Chair of Athletics, who would work closely and meet frequently with athletes,the Head of Athletics, and Dean of Students Liz Braun, so we have you covered—whether it’s about concussions, workload, or anything else
Questions? Concerns? Suggestions? Just feel like talking?
Email: email@example.com Facebook: Ben Roebuck
Hello, did you like this article? Write for The Gazette! Open staff meetings are every Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. in The Daily Gazette office on Parrish 4th. Info about our editors can be found here; you can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.