Henry Kietzman’s Chicken Soup for the Homesick Soul

Henry Kietzman ’14 is a Neuroscience Major. He’s on the swim team and enjoys inventing new craziness at Sharples, dancin’ like a fool, and searching for sweaters. His music inspirations center around his love for acoustic folk, but branch all over the place if the song’s catchy enough. These are songs for those a bit homesick and dreaming of home and summer!

At this point in the semester, I feel like the work is large and the motivation is small. To keep myself going in these tough times, I usually spend a decent amount of time being productively unproductive and finding new music. I enjoy creating ‘playlist journeys’ that start in one place and slowly bring you to a place altogether different. This playlist begins with melancholy moments that might get you down, and hopes to carry you through a progressively more positive adventure, ending at a much more helpful place. I hope these songs will be just as ameliorating for you as they are for me during times where I feel I’ll never leave Cornell, and will get you looking forward to the summer that’s just around the corner.

1. “I Can’t Make You Love Me/Nick of Time” – Bon Iver
2. “Night Bus” – Lucy Rose
3. “Hand on Your Heart” – Jose Gonzalez
4. “So Far Around the Bend” – The National
5. “Apple” – Lady Lamb the Beekeeper
6. “Smashed Birds” – Soley
7. “You Ain’t Alone” – The Shakes
8. “When I Grow Up” – First Aid Kit
9. “Paris 2004” – Peter Bjorn and John
10. “Tuck the Darkness In” – Bowerbirds
11. “Older Brother” – Pepper Rabbit
12. “Diamonds” – Ben Howard
13. “Reverend” – Pearl and the Beard
14. “At the Beach” – The Avett Brothers
15. “I Think It’s Almost Summertime” – Putnam Smith

“Campus Mixtapes” is a feature highlighting the musical tastes of different people at Swarthmore. To nominate someone, please email Kat Clark ’12 (kclark9).

Did you like this article? Consider joining the DG! Open staff meetings are every Monday at 6:30 p.m. in Kohlberg; or email us at editors@daily.swarthmore.edu.

0 comments