A Pictoral History of Tarble

Carnegie Library c. 1918, before the Friends Historical Library addition was built. That addition is all that still stands of the building. Photo courtesy of Friends Historical Library.
The main reading room of Carnegie Library, c. 1947. Photo courtesy of Friends Historical Library
The main entrance and signature bell tower of Carnegie Library in 1958. During the fire the bells fell more than 20 feet. Photo courtesy of Friends Historical Library.
Students hard at work in the reading room of Carnegie Library. Photo courtesy of Friends Historical Library.
The glass stacks of Carnegie Library in 1957. They were built in 1935 and torn down in 1967 when the building was renovated and turned into the Tarble Activity Center. Photo courtesy of Friends Historical Library.
The exterior of the Tarble Activity Center in March, 1978. The building looked out onto Parrish Beach. The section perpendicular to the rest was the Friends Historical Library addition, the only part to survive the fire of 1983. Photo courtesy of Friends Historical Library.
The main reading room of the library was turned into a large lounge space in the Tarble Activity Center. Photo courtesy of Friends Historical Library.
The Friends Historical Library housed a student snack bar after the 1967 renovations. Photo courtesy of Friends Historical Library.
Fire consumes the Tarble Activity Center before dawn on September 16th, 1983. Photo courtesy of Friends Historical Library.
Six fire companies were called in to fight the two-alarm fire. Photo courtesy of Friends Historical Library.
Salvaged books outside of the charred remains of the Tarble Activity Center shortly after the fire. Photo courtesy of Friends Historical Library.
The exterior of Old Tarble as it looks today. Photo by Mark Kharas
An ADA accessible ramp is currently being built outside of Old Tarble. This and an ADA bathroom will make the main floor fully ADA accessible. Photo by Mark Kharas
The largest Art Department studio space, where the Foundation class is taught, is located in Old Tarble. This space used to be the Friends Historical Library and a snack bar. Photo by Mark Kharas.


Did you like this article? Consider joining the DG! Open staff meetings are every Monday at 6:30 p.m. in Kohlberg; or email us at editors@daily.swarthmore.edu.

0 comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *